Sales of Google's latest flagship smartphone are set to begin next week, with AT&T announcing a sale date of August 23rd. The 4.7" phone will be available in 16GB and 32GB flavors at AT&T stores and online, going for $199.99 and $249.99 with a two-year agreement.
The announcement also confirmed that Moto Maker, the Moto X's online customization tool, would be exclusive to AT&T. Other major carriers will receive access later in the year, but that definitely takes the shine off the over 2,000 possible customizations.
AT&T will also be including the Motorola Skip free with the smartphone, a clip-on gadget that unlocks the device when placed nearby. The clip utilizes NFC technology to "Skip" the lock screen, and will be included for a limited time with purchases.
Top 10 Smartphones
Smartphones, Phablets, ≤5-inch, Camera SmartphonesNotebookcheck's Top 10 Smartphones under 160 Euros
Moto X Arrives at AT&T August 23
AT&T Customers Are First to Access Moto Maker and Receive New Motorola Skip Accessory Free
Dallas, Texas, August 16, 2013
Beginning Aug. 23, you can pick up the new Moto X from AT&T* or be the first to create your customized Moto X online. The customizable version of Moto X is the first smartphone designed by you, assembled in the USA and available only for AT&T. To see more Moto X features in action, check out this video.
At launch, customers can begin their Moto X customization at AT&T stores and throughwww.att.com/MotoX. Visit your nearest store** to see physical color samples before making your purchase. Woven white and woven black models will also be available.
AT&T will offer the 16 GB Moto X for $199.99 and the 32 GB Moto X for $249.99 with a two-year agreement. With AT&T Next, the 16 GB model is available for $27 per month and the 32 GB model is $32 per month.
Starting August 19, AT&T will offer a few lucky customers who registered*** at www.att.com/MotoXan opportunity to design and receive their Moto X before the general public.****
“We’re excited to be the first carrier to offer you a chance to design a smartphone that’s truly yours,” said Jeff Bradley, senior vice president – Devices, AT&T. “We’ve worked closely with Motorola to create a tailored display, sales, and distribution processes to get these customized devices into your hands quickly so you can start enjoying all Moto X has to offer, all on the nation’s fastest and most reliable 4G LTE network.”
Designing your own Moto X is simple. Using Moto Maker, you can select:
- Color options for the front and back
- Accent colors for the power key, volume key and camera ring
- Adding your name or short message on the back of the phone
- Unique wallpapers
- Custom power-on message
- Memory capacity – 16GB or 32GB
Once you’ve designed and purchased your custom device, it will be assembled in the USA and shipped to you for free in four days or less**** with no hassle returns.
The Moto X runs on Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean), and features a 4.7-inch HD display. Other device highlights include:
- Touchless Control lets you check the weather, get directions, make a call or search for just about anything—just by saying “OK Google Now.” Because you tune Moto X to your voice, it’s always ready to respond to you.
- The Quick Capture function makes the 10 megapixel rear-facing camera with LED flash and 2 megapixel front-facing camera even easier to use. Just pick up your Moto X, twist your wrist twice and you’re ready to shoot. Touch anywhere on the screen, and you’ll get an amazing shot. Its Clear Pixel technology can capture dark scenes or stop motion blur in bright light.
- With Active Display, information efficiently appears on the screen. It doesn’t interrupt and it’s battery friendly. You don’t have to wake up Moto X to look at the time or see your messages, satisfying that constant itch to check your phone.
Keeping your phone protected with passwords can be cumbersome. Now with a new accessory called Motorola Skip, you can unlock your phone with a single tap. Skip is a small clip you can wear on a shirtsleeve, shirt hem, belt loop, or wherever it feels most comfortable. Additionally, it comes with Skip dots, which work just like Skip but in sticker form. Stick them in convenient places like a car dashboard or nightstand. Skip allows you to keep information safe, but still have easy access to what you need most. Plus, for a limited time, Motorola Skip will be included for free in all Moto Maker orders.
AT&T recently launched AT&T Next, a new program that gives you the chance to get a new device every year. AT&T Next is simple and easy to use.
- You can purchase a smartphone or tablet with no down payment, no upgrade fee and no activation fee and agree to pay monthly installments for the device, with no financing fees.
- After 12 payments, you can trade it in and upgrade to a brand new device — again with no down payment.
- AT&T Next is available for new AT&T customers or existing customers who are upgrade eligible.
- Using AT&T Next, you can get the 16 GB Moto X for $27 per month or the 32 GB Moto X for $32 per month.
AT&T now has the most reliable 4G LTE network. According to independent third-party data, AT&T has the highest success rate for delivering mobile content across nationwide 4G LTE networks.***** And AT&T was named America’s fastest 4G LTE network in PC Magazine’s 2013 Fastest Mobile Networks 30-market study – and also swept the top rankings in all six U.S. regions from coast to coast: Northeast, Southeast, North-Central, South-Central, Northwest and Southwest. ******
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
**Color samples available in limited stores.
*** AT&T will randomly select a limited number of entrants with Gmail accounts who will be given the opportunity to purchase and customize before the scheduled launch date. Corporate responsibility user accounts are ineligible for the random selection process. By registering your email you consent to AT&T sharing your email address with Motorola to ensure eligibility and designate winners. AT&T reserves the right to modify or cancel the random selection process if technical limitations or other factors prevent it from running as planned.
****Subject to parts availability.
***** Speed claim based on comparison of national carriers' average 4G LTE download speeds for AndroidTM and Windows smartphones and iPhone 5. Reliability claim compares data transfer completion rates on nationwide 4G LTE networks. Limited 4G LTE availability in select markets. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. 4G speeds not available everywhere.
****** PC Magazine, June 17, 2013; http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420333,00.asp
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world. Its subsidiaries and affiliates – AT&T operating companies – are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and internationally. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation’s largest 4G network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile Internet, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse® and AT&T |DIRECTV brands. The company’s suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com/aboutus or follow our news on @ATT, on Facebook athttp://www.facebook.com/att and YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/att.
© 2013 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. 4G not available everywhere. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
- Android KitKat now available for Moto X users on Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, and AT&T News @ 11/25/2013
- Moto Maker to hit T-Mobile and Sprint News @ 11/06/2013
- Samsung ATIV S Neo confirmed by AT&T News @ 10/25/2013
- AT&T is selling the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini for only $0.99 News @ 09/28/2013
- Moto X could see a $100 price cut this winter News @ 08/31/2013
- HTC One mini confirmed by AT&T for August 23 News @ 08/21/2013
- Custom engravings for Moto X won't be available at launch News @ 08/20/2013
- New Nexus 5 rumors surface News @ 08/19/2013
- Moto X to reach the US on the 23rd of August News @ 08/14/2013
- Google introduces Moto X with multiple customizations News @ 08/02/2013
- More Moto X images leak ahead of launch News @ 07/20/2013
- Moto X features revealed News @ 07/16/2013
- Moto X leaked by Google chairman Eric Schmidt News @ 07/14/2013