First electric Chevy Blazer unveiled with sub-US$45,000 price and up to 320-mile range to take on the Model Y
General Motors used a snazzy Hollywood event to unveil its first all-electric Chevy Blazer 2024 whose price point and battery range on a charge seem designed for a direct competition with Tesla's "affordable" Model Y SUV.
The Chevrolet Blazer EV will start from only US$47,595 for the 2LT trim that will be released next summer, while in early 2024 an even cheaper, 1LT version will be launched at a sub-$45,000 price. For comparison, the base Tesla Model Y LR starts from US$65,990.
Electric Chevy Blazer trim prices and release date
- 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV 2LT price: US$47,595, Q3 2023
- 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV RS price: US$51,995, Q3 2023
- 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV SS price: US$65,995, Q4 2023
- 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV Police Pursuit Vehicle (PPV) price: TBD, Q1 2024
- 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV 1LT: US$44,995, Q1 2024
Electric Chevy Blazer range and specs
- 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV 2LT range: 293 miles, FWD (optional AWD)
- 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV RS range: 320 miles, FWD/RWD (optional AWD)
- 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV SS range: 290 miles, 557HP, AWD
- 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV Police Pursuit Vehicle (PPV) range: 290 miles, AWD
- 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV 1LT range: 247 miles, FWD
As you can see, the cheapest Chevy Blazer 1LT trim with front-wheel drive version only also has the smallest battery and shortest range on a charge. The Chevy Blazer RS version that will start above US$50,000 has the longest range on a charge.
As for the Chevrolet Blazer EV charging speeds and feature highlights, according to GM these include:
- 11.5 kW level 2 (AC) charging
- DC public fast-charging at up to 190 kW
- 78 miles of range in 10 minutes of charging
- Large 17.7-inch infotainment touchscreen
- Full LED exterior lighting with walk-up/walk-away animation on RS and SS models
- Soft-touch cabin materials
- Super Cruise hands-free driving technology for compatible roads
- Reverse Automatic Braking
- Advanced Park Assist
- Powered-opening charge port door
- Presence-based liftgate
All in all, the new Chevy Blazer EV seems to tick all the range and price boxes, from the cheap 1LT model, through the Blazer SS and Police Pursuit Vehicle versions that go 0-60mph in under 4 seconds. GM will be pouring north of US$40 billion into its electrification strategy in the next few years with the goal to beat Tesla and become the premiere American EV maker.
Before the Chevy Blazer EV, GM plans to release an electric Chevy Silverado early next year, followed by its cheapest Equinox EV at a US$30,000 price and a GMC Sierra full-size electric SUV in 2024 to complete its EV SUV portfolio.