Notebookcheck Logo

Diablo Immortal generates over US$100 million in revenue despite overwhelmingly negative reviews

Diablo Immortal has been generating a lot of revenue for Blizzard since its launch (image via Blizzard)
Diablo Immortal has been generating a lot of revenue for Blizzard since its launch (image via Blizzard)
Market research firm Sensor Tower reports that Diablo Immortal has raked in over US$100 million in revenue just eight weeks after its launch. This figure accounts for both Android and iOS sales but leaves out third-party app repositories.

Diablo Immortal is undoubtedly one of the most reviled AAA games launched in quite some time, as confirmed by its pitifully low Metacritic score. However, the game seems to have attracted its fair share of whales, as it has generated over US$100 million in revenue just eight weeks after its launch, according to Market research firm Sensor Tower.

As expected, the Apple App Store accounts for nearly 59% of all revenue generated in Diablo Immortal, leaving the Google Play Store at 41%. The US$100 million figure could be a lot higher as it leaves out PC and third-party Android storefronts. Then again, Diablo Immortal is still in beta on PC, so most studies will likely exclude the platform.

Diablo Immortal was also recently launched in China and has tremendous potential to grow there, given that NetEase was involved in its development. It is a bit tricky to determine an app's earnings in China due to the numerous repositories and payment systems. However, the initial reception for the game has been overwhelming, so it is bound to make heaps of cash there.

The only game that beat Diablo Immortal at getting to the US$100 revenue target was the universally revered Pokemon Go, which achieved the feat in just two weeks. So far, the United States seems to be the biggest in-game spender, followed by South Korea and Japan. China has the potential to overtake both markets soon, although it could be a while before the data becomes available.

While Blizzard may be laughing all the way to its bank, Diablo Immortal's roaring success sets a horrible precedent for future releases like Diablo 4, even though a spokesperson clarified that the game would tone down on the microtransactions. It does, however, come as a silver lining after the years of bad press Blizzard faced.

Buy the RedMagic 7 gaming smartphone on Amazon

Number of weeks mobile games took to generate US$100 million in revenue (image via Sensor Tower)
Number of weeks mobile games took to generate US$100 million in revenue (image via Sensor Tower)

Source(s)

Read all 2 comments / answer
static version load dynamic
Loading Comments
Comment on this article
Please share our article, every link counts!
.170
> Notebook / Laptop Reviews and News > News > News Archive > Newsarchive 2022 07 > Diablo Immortal generates over US$100 million in revenue despite overwhelmingly negative reviews
Anil Ganti, 2022-07-28 (Update: 2022-07-28)