Motorola Moto X Style and Moto X (2014) now receiving Android 6.0
Motorola has just begun rolling out Android 6.0 Marshmallow update to two of its handsets, the Motorola Moto X Style and Motorola Moto X (2014). At this point, the update is only available in two, albeit very big, markets. The Moto X Style retail units get updated in India and Brazil, and the Moto X (2014) in Brazil only.
According to Motorola’s David Schuster’s post on Google+, full deployment of the update will be done in stages over the next few weeks. The company also started the approval process for 2015 Moto X Pure Edition (3rd Gen) and expects to push it out within the next few weeks.
Some of the improvements that the update to Android 6.0 Marshmallow brings are:
- A new Memory Manager that lets the user check memory usage of all installed apps
- Volume controls have been greatly improved
- Do not disturb button has been added to the quick settings panel for easy access.
- System UI Tuner will appear in the settings menu at the very bottom once enabled. It provides a few simple UI tweaks.
- Google Now on Tap allows contextual information to be delivered based on content on your screen with a long press of the home key.
- Doze is a battery management feature that detects when your device is not in use and it will automatically go into a deep sleep state which saves your battery.
- App Standby reduces battery drain by putting seldom-used apps into a reduced activity state.
- Expandable Storage support allows for microSD cards to be used either in a portable storage or an internal storage mode. Portable storage allows your pictures, videos, audio and other media files to be stored. Internal storage allows both media storage along with apps and games but can not be used by other devices.
- RAM manager in settings which allows a consumer to view memory used by the system or an individual app over different time frames
- Automatic App backup not only backs up your apps but their associated data so when restored they will be the same as they were before
- Text selection has been improved