Firefox OS reference handset Flame now on preorder
Mozilla's Firefox OS is still far from gaining a significant share of the mobile market but it surely seems to be moving in the right direction. ZTE launched the Open C smartphone earlier this month as world's first handset powered by Firefox OS 1.3 and a big step ahead from the ZTE Open. The Flame reference smartphone has better specs and features than the Open C, is aimed at developers and can be already pre-ordered for a fair price.
These are the technical specs and features of the Flame Firefox OS smartphone:
- Processor: dual-core 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 MSM8210 with Adreno 302 graphics
- Memory/Storage: 1 GB RAM; 8 GB internal storage and microSD support up to 32 GB
- Display: 4.5-inch touchscreen with 854X480 pixels
- Cameras: 2 MP front, 5 MP with autofocush and flash on the back
- Connectivity: 3G, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n with hotspot, Bluetooth 3.0, micro USB 2.0, GPS with A-GPS
- Operating system: Firefox OS 1.3
- Battery: lithium-ion 1,800 mAh
Flame is the result of Mozilla's partnership with T2Mobile and offers a software option which allows "to emulate many different devices that will be commercially available later this year." This unlocked handset also has the bootloader unlocked and can be updated with both major Firefox OS releases and Nightly builds. It can be pre-ordered for $170 USD and will ship in about a month.