Notebookcheck

Chrome for Windows 7 refuses to die: Security updates coming until at least mid-January 2022

Extending Chrome support for Windows 7 until January 2022 (Source: Google Cloud Blog)
Extending Chrome support for Windows 7 (Source: Google Cloud Blog)
With over 20 percent of corporate users still stuck with Windows 7, Google has decided to extend support for Chrome on this old operating system until "at least" January 15, 2022. This comes as a 6-month extension of the previously announced date of July 15, 2021, and further changes are still possible.

According to a study conducted by Kantar that was commissioned by Google Chrome Enterprise, in the second quarter of 2020, only 78% of the companies evaluated had fully migrated their infrastructure to Windows 10. Out of the remaining 22%, 21% were still in the process of migrating, and companies that accounted for the single percent left were in the "plan to start migrating soon" stage. Considering these, Google has decided to add six months to the day when Chrome support on Windows 7 is supposed to end.

The official blog post by Chrome's Engineering Director Max Christoff reads the following: "After assessing the current situation, and based on feedback from our valued enterprise customers, Chrome is extending our support for Windows 7 until at least January 15, 2022. That’s a 6-month extension from our previously communicated date of July 15, 2021. We’ll continue to evaluate the conditions our enterprise customers are facing, and communicate any additional changes in the future."

Since the migration plans of many businesses were turned upside-down by the ongoing COVID019 pandemic, the January 15, 2022 date mentioned above depends a lot on the evolution of this viral-induced economic turmoil. Free support for Windows 7 ceased on January 14, 2020, although businesses still stuck with it for various reasons can pay for Extended Security Updates.

static version load dynamic
Loading Comments
Comment on this article
Please share our article, every link counts!
> Notebook / Laptop Reviews and News > News > News Archive > Newsarchive 2020 11 > Chrome for Windows 7 refuses to die: Security updates coming until at least mid-January 2022
Codrut Nistor, 2020-11-23 (Update: 2020-11-23)
Codrut Nistor
Codrut Nistor - News Editor
Although I have been writing about new software and hardware for almost a decade, I consider myself to be old school. I always enjoy listening to music on CD or tape instead of digital files and I will not even get into the touchscreen vs physical keys debate. However, I also enjoy new technology, as I now have the chance to take a look at the future every day. I joined the Notebookcheck crew back in 2013 and I have no plans to leave the ship anytime soon.