Analyst predicts as many as 6 iPhone 12 models will launch in 2020
In an investor note that AppleInsider had access to, Rosenblatt Securities predicted that Apple may release a record six different iPhone models in 2020. These range from the budget iPhone 12 4G (which they claim will still use an LCD display), all the way to the ultra-premium iPhone 12 Pro Max 5G. Rosenblatt predicted that the following models will be launched:
- iPhone 12 4G: an entry-level model a 4G modem and 6.1 in LCD screen
- iPhone 12 Pro 4G: a 4G model with a 5.4 in OLED display
- iPhone 12 Pro 5G: an iPhone 12 Pro, but with 5G connectivity
- iPhone 12 Pro Plus 4G: an upper-midrange model with a 6.1 in OLED display and 4G connectivity
- iPhone 12 Pro Plus 5G: an iPhone 12 Pro Plus, but with 5G connectivity
- iPhone 12 Pro Max 5G: an ultra-premium 5G model with a 6.1 in OLED display
We'd take Rosenblatt's predictions with a pinch of salt, especially since they run counter to other predictions. Analyst Ming Chi Kuo, for instance, predicts that 4 2020 iPhone models will be launched, including one with a 6.7 in display. We find it hard to conceive of Apple not releasing a large-screen variant.
Regardless of which predictions you look at, one theme is consistent: 2020 will see a larger range of iPhone models than before. Will up to 6 iPhone launches mean that entry-level offerings will be price-competitive with midrange Android devices? That's a stretch, but we wouldn't be surprised if Apple introduced the iPhone 12 below the iPhone 11's $699 launch price.