MWC 2013 | ASUS announces PadFone Infinity and Fonepad hybrids
Working For Notebookcheck
Are you a loyal reader of notebookcheck? Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team!
News Editor, Review Editor (Smartphones) - Details here
Back in October of last year, ASUS introduced their PadFone 2 at an event in Milan, and they've now released a follow-up model. Here in Barcelona at the Mobile World Congress, the Taiwanese company has announced a pair of hybrid devices, including the PadFone Infinity and the FonePad.
Thanks to the Infinity moniker, the new PadFone now features an excellent 5", 1920x1080 pixel display as opposed to the previous version's 4.7", 1280x720 screen. Qualcomm also once again provides the processing via a 1.7GHz Snapdragon 600 CPU, and the detachable phone unit includes 64GB of storage and 2GB of RAM.
ASUS has also decked out the PadFone Infinity with a ton communication options, including NFC and an LTE standard that promises up to 100 Mbit/s download and 50 Mbit/s upload. Originally the device will only be available in Taiwan and a few select countries and it should retail for 999 euros.
ASUS PadFone Infinity Specifications:
- Operating system: Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 quad-core (1.7GHz) with Adreno 320 GPU
- Display: 5-inch (1920 x 1080 / 441PPI) Super IPS (400 nit) Scratch-resistant Corning Glass with anti-fingerprint coating, 10-point multi-touch
- Cameras: Rear - 13MP Sony BSI Sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 5-element lens, autofocus, LED flash, 8FPS burst mode (100 sequential shots); Front - 2MP
- Memory & storage: 2GB LPDDR2-1066 RAM; 32GB/64GB storage; Two-year’s free 50GB ASUS WebStorage.
- Networks: EDGE/GPRS/GSM (850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz), WCDMA (900, 2100MHz), LTE (800, 1800, 2100, 2600MHz), DC-HSPA+ (42Mbit/s download, 5.76Mbit/s upload), LTE (100Mbit/s download, 50Mbit/s upload)
- Wireless: 2.4GHz 802.11a/b/g/n/ac with Wi-Fi Direct, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC
- Connectivity: 3.5mm headphone socket, MyDP port (supports Micro-USB 2.0 Host & Device, up to 1080p video-out)
- Sensors: A-GPS with GLONASS, accelerometer, proximity, ambient light, gyroscope, e-compass; Other: Nano-SIM slot
- Video formats: Video playback: MPEG-4 up to 1080p; Video recording: MPEG-4 up to 1080p at 30FPS, 720p at 60FPS, H.264 1080p video encode and decode at 30FPS, MPEG-4, H.264, Ogg, Theora, WMV, 3GP
- Audio formats: MP3, 3GP, AAC, AAC+
- Battery: 2400mAh Lithium polymer (non-removable), Up to 19 hours of 3G talk time, up to 410 hours of standby time
- Colors: Titanium Gray, Champagne Gold, Hot Pink
- Size: 143.5 x 72.8 x 6.3~8.9mm
- Weight: 141g
PadFone Infinity Station
- Display: 10.1-inch (1920 x 1200 / 244PPI) Super IPS (400 nit); Capacitive multi-touch; Scratch-resistant glass with anti-fingerprint coating
- Cameras: Front: 1MP
- Connectivity: Micro-USB 2.0 port
- Sensors: Ambient light, e-compass; Other: GSM, WCDMA & LTE antennas
- Speaker with ASUS SonicMaster audio technology
- Battery: 5000mAh Lithium polymer (non-removable); Up to 40 hours of 3G talk time (with docked PadFone Infinity)
- Colors: Titanium Gray
- Size: 264.6 x 181.6 x 10.7mm
- Weight: 530g
Of course, the PadFone wasn't the only thing announced today, as ASUS chairman Jonney Shih unveiled the "perfect combination of a tablet and phone in one single device". The extremely uniquely named FonePad is that device, combining a smartphone and tablet in one 7" device that costs just 219 euros.
The FonePad features an Intel Atom Z2420 CPU, Android 4.1, and weighs at a surprisingly light 340 grams. A worldwide launch is planned for March of this year, with an 8GB version available for $249 (~189 euros) and a 16GB version going for 219 euros.
ASUS FonePad Specifications:
- Operating system: Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- Processor:Intel Atom Z2420 (1.2GHz) with PowerVR SGX540 GPU
- Modem: IMC XMM6265
- Display: 7-inch HD (1280 x 800) LED-backlit with IPS technology, 10-point multi-touch
- Front Camera: 1.2MP
- Rear Camera : 3MP auto-focus with 720p HD video recording (selected models only)
- Memory & storage: 1GB RAM, 8GB/16GB storage with microSD card slot (up to 32GB)
- Networks: WCDMA 850, 900, 1900, 2100MHz; GSM/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz; HSPA+ (21Mbit/s download, 5.76Mbit/s upload)
- Wireless: 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 3.0
- Connectivity: Micro-USB port, 3.5mm headphone socket
- Sensors: GPS with GLONASS, accelerometer, proximity, ambient light, e-compass; Other: Noise-cancelling digital microphone, speaker, Micro-SIM slot
- Battery: Li-polymer 16Wh (4270mAh) for up to 9 hours 2 use
- Colors: Titanium Gray / Champagne Gold
- Size: 196.4 x 120.1 x 10.4mm
- Weight: 340g