iOS 8 arrives on September 17
Apple announced yesterday that the next major release of its mobile operating system would be available next week, on September 17. According to the official press release, this update "delivers a simpler, faster and more intuitive user experience" and is "the biggest release since the launch of the App Store."
The long list of new features and improvements present in iOS 8 includes the following highlights:
- iCloud Drive (5 GB freely available, up to 1 TB for $19.99/month)
- Predictive typing for Apple QuickType
- Health app for tracking health and fitness data via a connected Apple Watch
- Improved Messages and Photos
- Family Sharing "keeps everyone connected by creating a shared family photo stream and calendar, and provides an option to locate family members and their devices"
- Various UI enhancements
- Spotlight suggestions using online content such as nearby places, Wikipedia articles and news related to your searches
In addition to the improvements and new features for end users mentioned above, iOS 8 is also a solid update for developers. They will get over 4,000 new APIs, as well as frameworks such as HomeKit and HealthKit. "iOS 8 also creates an extraordinary environment for developers, providing them the ability to create amazing new apps like never before," said Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering.
Top 10 Smartphones
Smartphones, Phablets, ≤5-inch, Camera SmartphonesNotebookcheck's Top 10 Smartphones under 160 Euros