Shift5+ modular phone pre-orders starting next month
Google's Project Ara modular handset does not have many competitors, but one of them seems to be on the right path. German phone manufacturer Shift is not a big name in the industry, but thanks to its upcoming Shift5+ modular smartphone, it might just become one by the end of next year.
Shift5+ will be ready for pre-order next month and, until then, its specs will remain rather sketchy. This is what we know about its specs and features right now:
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon quad-core or octa-core by an unspecified maker, probably a MediaTek chip
- Memory/Storage: 2 GB RAM; 32 GB internal storage
- Display: 5-inch IPS multitouch
- Cameras: 5 MP front, 13 MP back
- Operating system: Android or Windows
- Battery: 2500-3000 mAh, removable
Some day in the future, the display, battery, or the internal memory of the phone could be upgraded by the user. More details about the upgradeable parts, the upgrade process itself, and the detailed stock specs should come out next month. Pre-order price will be €399 EUR (~$430 USD) until the device hits the market. Unfortunately, Shift claims this will happen in Q3 2016, when the price goes up to €444 EUR (~$480 USD).
Top 10 Smartphones
Smartphones, Phablets, ≤5-inch, Camera SmartphonesNotebookcheck's Top 10 Smartphones under 160 Euros