Intel Bay Trail to arrive in September
Working For Notebookcheck
Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team!
German-English-Translator - Details here
By mid-2015, Intel is expected to launch new tablet platforms, but also new SoCs for smartphones. According to new leaks from Taiwan-based makers quoted by Digitimes, Intel has a few game changers scheduled for the next two years. The first new chips will arrive this September, when the new Bay Trail processors will be revealed at the Intel Developer Forum.
These are the most important parts of Intel's roadmap mentioned above:
- The Bay Trail platform using the Silvermont architecture supports a battery life of more than eight hours when active and weeks while idling. Its launch will occur at IDF next month.
- The 22 nm Bay Trail-T processors for tablets will arrive later, offering support for both Windows 8.1 and Android 4.2 Jelly Bean.
- The Bay Trail-T processors will be available at 1.8GHz and 2.4GHz, featuring a Gen 7 GPU.
- The 22 nm Merrifield SoC for smartphones is expected at the end of 2013.
- The Moorefield SoC should arrive during the first half of 2014, followed by the 14 nm Morganfield in the first quarter of 2015.
- The Cherry Trail platform will be unveiled at Computex 2014, featuring the 14 nm Airmont architecture with clock speeds of up to 2.7GHz and a Gen 8 GPU.
- At last, Intel will release the Willow Trail & Derivatives series based on the 14 nm Goldmont architecture with a Gen 9 GPU.
Regarding the performance of these new platforms, the sources claim that Merrifield is about 50% more powerful, also offering increased autonomy compared to the existing Clover Trail+ platform. More information about the other platforms and processors is not available yet.
Top 10 Smartphones
Smartphones, Phablets, ≤5-inch, Camera SmartphonesNotebookcheck's Top 10 Smartphones under 160 Euros