Alienware M18x, M14x and M11xR3 gaming notebooks officially launch
After months of leaks, reviews and temporary listings, the new Alienware notebooks have finally been revealed. True to what we previously heard with regards to an April 19th launch date, the laptops were officially announced today at a San Francisco event after showing up on multiple Dell sites overseas. The three new members of Dell’s Alienware family are the M18x, M14x, and the updated M11xR3.
The biggest and most powerful laptop in Dell’s Alienware arsenal, the M18x has been labeled by Dell as the “most powerful 18-inch gaming laptop in the universe” and is aimed at being a true desktop replacement notebook. The monstrous laptop weighs a hefty 16lbs (7.2 kg) and includes the following features:
- A Full HD WLED 18.4” display
- Dual GPU options with GDDR5 VRAM
- AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards with optional Crossfire X and SLI
- An Intel Sandy Bridge Core i7 processor factory overclocked to 4GHz
- Up to 32GB of DDR3 RAM
- HDMI and Wireless HD and 3D outputs
The M18x is definitely the most powerful Alienware laptop yet, but unfortunately Dell hasn’t announced any pricing or release info.
The Alienware M14x is the 2nd new laptop announced by Dell today and should provide an alternative option for users looking for a mid-range gaming notebook. In addition to the same Wireless HD and basic design as the M18x, the M14x also offers:
- A 14” WLED HD display with resolutions of either 1366x768 or 1600x900 pixels
- Sandy Bridge Core i7 2820QM, 2720QM, or 2630QM processors
- Up to 8GB of DDR3 RAM
- An NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M with up to 3GB of VRAM and NVIDIA Optimus
- Up to a 750GB HDD or up to a 250GB SSD
- An 8-cell battery food for 6 hours of lifetime
- Klipsch speakers and optional WiMAX
Rounding up the list of new Alienware notebooks is the updated version of the M11x, the M11xR3. Although this is the first official announcement of the laptop, it has been previously reviewed here and the specs were widely known. The laptop will include:
- An 11.6” display with a resolution of 1366x768 pixels
- Either a Sandy Bridge Core i5 2537M processor or a Sandy Bridge Core i7 2617M processor
- Up to 16GB of DDR3 RAM
- An NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M GPU with 1GB of RAM (2GB of RAM when selecting the Core i7 processor)
- Up to a 750GB HDD or a 250GB SSD
- An 8-cell battery good for 8 hours of life
Although the latest announcement of the Alienware laptops hasn’t revealed a lot of new info, at least we can now get our hands on the laptops. For now, the M14x and M11xR3 are the only ones available for ordering and start at $1,199 and $999 respectively. However, the M18x will likely follow soon and should be available sometime in May.
Working For Notebookcheck
Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team! Especially English native speakers welcome!
News and Editorial Editor - Details here
Top 10 Smartphones
Smartphones, Phablets, ≤5-inch, Camera SmartphonesNotebookcheck's Top 10 Smartphones under 160 Euros