Working For Notebookcheck
Are you a loyal reader of notebookcheck? Are you a techie who knows how to write? Then join our Team!
News Editor, Review Editor (Smartphones) - Details here
Canadian phone maker BlackBerry has released the preliminary quarterly results yesterday and the loss is much higher than anticipated - approximately $950 million to $995 million. At the same time, the company sold approximately 3.7 million smartphones in the second quarter, expecting to report revenue of almost $1.6 billion.
While the huge loss mentioned above comes mainly as a result of writing down inventory, the company also confirmed plans to layoff almost 4,500 employees, thus taking down the headcount to about 7,600.
On the other hand, BlackBerry still has a few smartphones ready for release, but the press release below makes one thing clear: "Company to refocus on enterprise and prosumer market, offering end-to-end solutions, including hardware, software and services."
Fortunately, BlackBerry has plans to remain in the consumer smartphone market for now reducing its smartphone portfolio from 6 handsets to 4. At the same time, it will offer 2 high-end and 2 entry-level devices for the enterprise and prosumer market.
In the end, it seems BlackBerry still has to find a strong partner, as the press release also mentions that the company's Special Committee of the Board "continues to evaluate strategic alternatives."
Sadly, the recent Microsoft-Nokia deal left the list of potential partners for BlackBerry without a big name, but it may be possible for Intel or AMD to step in. Obviously, this is nothing but a speculation for now.
BlackBerry announces preliminary second quarter fiscal 2014 results and provides business update
- BlackBerry does not leave the handset market News @ 04/10/2014
- MWC 2014 | BlackBerry Q20 to launch in Q3 and Z3 to launch in April News @ 02/26/2014
- BlackBerry could be working on the PlayBook 2 tablet News @ 11/08/2013
- BlackBerry drops the plan to go private News @ 11/05/2013
- BlackBerry bought by Fairfax Financial for $4.7bn News @ 09/23/2013
- BBM for Android and iOS delayed due to leaked app News @ 09/22/2013
- BlackBerry launches the Z30 smartphone News @ 09/18/2013
- WSJ: BlackBerry Q10 sales disappoint News @ 09/02/2013
- The end of BlackBerry as we know it News @ 08/12/2013