Microsoft Windows 10: these are the new features
A couple of days ago Microsoft publicly allowed a detailed view at the upcoming Windows 10. With the new version of the OS, all devices are united into a single Windows branding. Smartphones and small tablets will use a special version of the OS, PCs and large tablets will use another, while the Xbox One will run a dedicated version, but all of these devices are based on the same structure and roughly the same software principles.
These are the new main new features that Microsoft is cooking inside Windows 10:
- Cortana: Windows 10 on PCs and tablets will come with an advanced version of the voice assistant that initially debuted on Windows Phone 8.1 devices.
- The Spartan Browser: Internet Explorer will be replaced in Windows 10 by a new browser from Microsoft, one that was codenamed "Project Spartan".
- Xbox on Windows 10: the Xbox One will be able to stream games directly to the PC or tablet.
- DirectX 12: Microsoft says that the new version of the graphics API will be much more powerful while also consuming less resources
- Universal apps: the new Office apps for Windows 10 will be designed to offer the same experience across all devices.
- HoloLens: a new set of VR goggles that allow developers to create virtual reality applications for the Xbox One
PC users will get the chance to try some of these features for themselves next week when Microsoft launches the new Windows 10 technical preview update.