Google Maps gets new features
Google updated the Maps app earlier this week, bringing its version number up to 8.2. This new version enables voice controls while in navigation mode and it also brings new features for cyclists, as it now takes into account elevation when looking for routes to choose while riding a bicycle.
Google Maps 8.2 appears to be a major update, as it includes quite a few new features and improvements:
- Bicycle directions show elevation information and also include elevation comparison when multiple routes are available
- Your Places located in the slide-out navigation menu
- Voice actions available while in navigation mode (commands like "What's my next turn?", "How's traffic ahead?"or "How long until I arrive?" are recognized)
- The person icon in the search bar that used to load Places is now replaced by the voice icon
- ETA is no longer shown using bold text
- Uber card now appears in the car tab of navigation, previously was only shown in walking and public transportation
Google is pushing this update to Android 4.3 devices (and later) already, but the APK can be manually downloaded and installed from various third parties as well.