Sony unveils 6.4-inch Xperia Ultra phablet and SmartWatch 2
Review Editor - Details here
News Editor - Details here
Russian Translator - Details here
During a press conference at the Mobile Asia Expo 2013 (MAE 2013) in Shanghai (26 to 28 June), Sony took the opportunity to announce the new, ultra-large Sony Xperia Z Ultra smartphone. This phablet integrates a 6.44-inch display with Full HD resolution (1,920 x 1,080 pixels) and a 2.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core processor. It is also IP55/IP58 rated and offers protection from dust and water.
Sony basically confirmed previous leaks in terms of the Xperia Z Ultra specifications – the bigger version of the Xperia Z is approximately 0.25 inches thick and weighs 0.46 pounds (212 grams). Other than the IP55/IP58 rating, it also supports 4G LTE and allows the user to write or sketch with a stylus, or any pen with a tip measuring at least 1 millimeter. Furthermore, it is equipped with an 8 megapixel camera with the Exmor RS sensor and HDR.
As for the SmartWatch 2, Sony Xperia's Director of Marketing Calum McDougall presented it as "the first waterproof SmartWatch with NFC functionality". He also touted the SmartWatch 2 as a multi-functional watch, information device, music center and Android app interface – an all-in-one. The Android-based wrist watch houses a 1.6-inch display with 220 x 176 pixels.
The watch's housing is made of aluminum, whereas the bracelet consists of stainless steel. Compared to its predecessor, the new SmartWatch allows automatic Bluetooth pairing via NFC. Thanks to its IP57 rating, the SmartWatch 2 is also able to submerge briefly. The Sony SmartWatch 2 is scheduled for a worldwide release in September 2013. While more technical details are still to follow, here are the main features of the SmartWatch 2:
- Easy to read in sunlight
- Longest battery life among the smart watches
- Waterproof (IP57)
- Simple setup (NFC pairing and connection)
- Independent clock functions
- Uses standard micro-USB cable for charging
- User interface similar to Android interface, making it more intuitive
- Larger display with higher resolution (1.6 inches, 220 x 176 pixels)
- High quality materials (aluminum housing and stainless steel bracelet)
- Enhanced compatibility (works with most Android phones)
- Interchangeable wristband – can be personalized with any 24 mm wristband